|Bahrain GP given green light|
14 April 2012
SHANGHAI: The Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead next week as planned despite fears it could be targeted by violent anti-government demonstrations.
The sport’s governing body, the FIA, and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone made separate announcements in Shanghai. The Bahrain race was postponed last year after protests against the government erupted, and then removed from the 2011 schedule, and was thought to be in jeopardy once again because of the more than year-long demonstrations.
With the FIA and Ecclestone under intense pressure to make a final ruling, the flamboyant 81-year-old had a 30-minute meeting with the teams before emerging to proclaim the race had never been in any doubt.
Asked if he was 100% sure Bahrain was on, he said, “Two hundred percent.”
The FIA said in a statement that it was ‘satisfied’ that sufficient security was in place at the Sakhir circuit to deter protesters who say they will target the event.
FIA President Jean Todt led a fact-finding mission to the kingdom in November, it added, meeting the interior minister, members of the royal family, European ambassadors and the business community.
“All expressed their wish for the grand prix to go ahead in 2012, and since then, the FIA has kept in close touch with all these stakeholders,” said the FIA. “Away from the public eye, the FIA has received regular security briefings from the most senior diplomatic officials based in the kingdom as well as from other independent experts.”
|See Also in Sports News|
|Misbah mulls retirement after England series|
03 October 2015
LAHORE: Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq said on Friday he was mulling retirement after the upcoming Pakistan-England series, saying he hoped to leave the game on a high.
The 41-year-old said the series against England "could be my last".
"I haven't taken a final decision," Misbah told media on the sidelines of a training camp in Lahore, adding that he was considering his options.
Misbah retired from Twenty20 cricket in 2012 and left the one-day international game after Pakistan's ... Full Story
|Classy South Africa stun India in first T20|
03 October 2015
DHARAMSALA: South Africa put on a thrilling batting display to brush aside India by seven wickets in the first Twenty20 match in Dharamsala on Friday and grab the lead in the three-game series.
In a high-scoring encounter played before a sell-out crowd of 23,000 at the picturesque venue, the tourists chased down India's challenging 199-5 with two deliveries to spare. India's innings after being sent in to bat revolved around a superb 106 off 66 balls by opener Rohit Sharma, ably supported by ... Full Story
|Australia focus on Kiwis with BD tour down|
03 October 2015
SYDNEY: Australia's new cricket captain Steve Smith on Friday switched focus to New Zealand's upcoming tour as he voiced regret that a two-Test series in Bangladesh had to be called off over terrorism fears.
"The safety and the security of the players is the biggest concern," Smith told reporters.
"It's not safe enough for us to travel at this time.
" He noted that the Bangladesh tour would have been his first as full-time captain following Michael Clarke's recent retirement.
"It was a ... Full Story