spacer
Home Page
NewsNorth Korea 'plans third nuclear test'
24 January 2013
North Korea

 

North Korea says it is proceeding with plans for a third nuclear test.

In a statement carried by KCNA news agency, the top military body said the "high-level nuclear test" and more long-range rocket launches were aimed at its "arch-enemy", the US.

The statement gave no time-frame for the test. North Korea has conducted two nuclear tests, in 2006 and 2009.

The move comes two days after a UN Security Council resolution condemned Pyongyang's recent rocket launch.

The Security Council also expanded sanctions against the communist country following its December launch, which was seen by the US and North Korea's neighbours as a banned test of long-range missile technology.

North Korea said the rocket was solely aimed at putting a satellite into space for peaceful purposes.

'Ready'
The statement, which came from North Korea's National Defence Commission, hit out at the resolution as "illegal", before pledging a response.

"We do not hide that the various satellites and long-range rockets we will continue to launch, as well as the high-level nuclear test we will proceed with, are aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States," KCNA quoted it as saying.

"Settling accounts with the US needs to be done with force, not with words," it added.

Recent reports from South Korean and US bodies which monitor North Korea's nuclear test sites had said North Korea could be preparing for a third test.

Earlier on Thursday, a South Korean defence ministry spokesman said it appeared that North Korea was "ready to conduct a nuclear test at anytime if its leadership decides to go ahead".

Regional neighbours and the US have urged it not to proceed.

"We hope they don't do it, we call on them not to do it. It will be a mistake and a missed opportunity if they were to do it," said Glyn Davies, the US special envoy on North Korea policy who is currently visiting Seoul.

"This is not a moment to increase tensions on the Korean Peninsula."

A South Korean foreign ministry spokesman said Seoul deeply regretted the North Korean statement and "strongly" urged it not to go ahead.

'High-level'
Both North Korea's previous nuclear tests followed long-range rocket launches.

If it were to go ahead, this would be the first nuclear test under Kim Jong-un, who took over the leadership after the death of his father Kim Jong-il in December 2011.

There was no explanation in the statement of what "high-level" test might mean.

Experts believe the two previous tests used plutonium as fissile material, but North Korea is also believed to have been working on a programme to produce highly-enriched uranium.

It is thought that North Korea is not yet able to make a nuclear device small enough to mount on a long-range missile, although the US believes that is Pyongyang's ultimate goal.

Courtsey: BBC
NewsSee Also in Political News
Zardari won’t be arrested
29 August 2015

ISLAMABAD - The government has covertly conveyed to the Pakistan People’s Party that Asif Ali Zardari will not be arrested in any corruption related cases, The Nation has learnt. “The PM has noticed aggressive statements from PPP leaders against their alleged crackdown. He has given assurance to the PPP that Zardari will not be arrested,” a senior minister of Sharif’s cabinet told The Nation. He added that the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has directed authorities to go soft on the ... Full Story
Eight civilians martyred in Indian firing
29 August 2015

SIALKOT: In the bloodiest violation of the ceasefire at the Sialkot Working Boundary, the Indian Border Security Forces (BSF) killed eight innocent Pakistani civilians and injured more than 57, including many women and children, on Friday. The Indian forces targeted the civilian population through unprovoked and intensified firing and shelling mainly in the Chaprar Sector at short intervals. According to the Rescue 1122 sources, Waqas (27) and Naseem (48) were martyred on the spot in the ... Full Story
Is there a state or law of jungle, asks Qaim
29 August 2015

KARACHI: Enraged at Dr Asim Hussain’s arrest, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah on Friday said that he had asked Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif whether there was a state or if there was a law of the jungle in the country and further questioned why the Sindh province had been attacked. He declared the raids in Sindh as attacks on the province. He said that he was not taken into confidence on the arrest of Dr Asim Hussain. He said, “Pakistan is a state not a jungle and the Federal ... Full Story
Chaudry Nisar meets UK Foreign Secretary
29 August 2015

LONDON: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan called on Philip Hammond, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Common Wealth Affairs here on Friday. Pakistan’s High ... Full Story
‘Same PPP terms Rangers actions an attack on Sindh that approved its stay’
29 August 2015

KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain on Friday criticised the ruling Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) for terming Rangers’ actions an attack on Sindh as the ... Full Story
Pakistan’s nuclear programme only aimed at peace, stability: FO
29 August 2015

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office on Friday said that Pakistan’s nuclear programme was only aimed at maintaining peace and stability in South Asia and the country has no desire to ... Full Story
OGRA proposes slashing fuel prices
29 August 2015

ISLAMABAD: In the wake of the recent fall in global oil prices, the country’s Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (Ogra) recommended on Friday a major cut in fuel prices, including a ... Full Story
Cabinet approves 3-year trade framework
29 August 2015

ISLAMABAD: Without identifying factors affecting the country’s exports and undertaking relevant studies, a cabinet panel on Friday approved, in principle, a three-year strategic ... Full Story
Centre to consult provinces on regulating LPG market
29 August 2015
CDA to freeze salaries of non-compliant officers
29 August 2015
LG polls in Islamabad fixed for November 30
29 August 2015
IS listed among proscribed outfits
29 August 2015
LBA challenges top court ruling on military courts
29 August 2015
NAB holds meeting ahead of country review
29 August 2015
Arrest warrants issued for MWM leader in murder case
29 August 2015
Legal status of contractual workers still undetermined
29 August 2015
Govt-MQM talks: No progress as Nawaz reluctant to notify monitoring panel
29 August 2015
President promulgates ordinance to dissolve PMDC's executive council
29 August 2015
India sabotaging peace in region, says Nisar
29 August 2015
PM, Defence Minister express concern over Working Boundary violations
29 August 2015
NAB to net ‘big fish’ in Punjab: DG
29 August 2015
Qaim Ali Shah unhappy over Dr Asim’s arrest
29 August 2015
Shujaat arrives in Karachi to unite PML factions
29 August 2015
DG NAB vows to net ‘big fish’ in Punjab
29 August 2015
MoU for Pakistan Stock Exchange signed
28 August 2015
Awaz.tv
Privacy Policy: We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Disclaimer: Awaz.tv is not responsible for any content linked to or referred to from these pages. All videos, live tvs, blogs or video links point to content hosted on third party websites or members. We are using third party links for live tvs. Users who upload these videos or blogs agree not to upload illegal content when creating their user accounts. Awaz.tv does not accept responsibility for content hosted on third party websites or by the members. If you have any questions please contact us.
Copyright © 2000-2015 AWAZ.TV. All rights reserved unless where otherwise noted.